Thyroid metabolism (in a nutshell) goes something like this: The hypothalamus of the brain ( the main control center for the autonomic nervous system ) produces Thyroid Releasing Hormone to excite the pituitary gland (the main endocrine gland). In turn the pituitary gland releases another hormone called Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) to the thyroid gland. TSH stimulates the production of Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO). TPO uses iodine to create T4 and T3 hormones. Most of these thyroid hormones are T4 (93%) and the rest to T3 (7%). But wait. The body only utilizes T3. So 60% of the T4 is converted in the liver to T3. Now we have 67% T3 that is useful. Fortunately, the most of the remaining T4 is converted to T3 in the peripheral tissues and the gastrointestinal tract (GI).

Here’s the problem. Things can go wrong with each of these steps. The brain may not release the TSH. The pituitary may be malfunctioning. TPO may fail to stimulate the use of iodine. The problem may be autoimmune where circulating antibodies have identified the thyroid as a foreign invader. Note that the thyroid has a similar chemical structure as gluten and this is why the body mistakenly identifies the thyroid as an enemy and attacks it. Autoimmune thyroid diseases include Hashimoto’s Disease and Graves Disease. Other non-thyroid autoimmune diseases include Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Lupus, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc..

The thyroid is a complex organ with cross talk to literally every bodily system ( brain, GI tract, neurotransmitter system, adrenal glands, liver, etc.).

If you have wondered if chiropractic nutritional approaches can help you, see a chiropractor or chiropractors. Better yet, see a chiropractic neurologist such as myself Dr. Scott Brown.

Call us today at Brown Chiropractic Neurology (303) 986-7600 for a free consultation. Proudly serving Denver, Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Golden, and Evergreen Colorado

Denver/ Lakewood Chiropractor

Advertisements